Terms and Jargon

IMG_6083Although photography is ultimately about art, the use of high-tech gizmos inevitably leads to photographers throwing around an array of terms and acronyms that can be overwhelming to a new photographer.  This list is (obviously) a work-in-progress, but I hope it’ll help a bit!

a | d | e | f | h | i | o | s | t
Reset list
Speedlite -  Canon's brand name for their electronic flash units. Both "speedlight" (Nikon's brand name) and "speedlite" have become somewhat genericized to refer to any brand of portable, battery-powered electronic flash.
- Synonyms: Speedlight, electronic flash
Strobe -  An external lighting system designed to work by providing a brief flash of light. Unlike portable electronic flashes, these are typically larger, wall-pluggable lighting systems designed for use in studio settings.
- Synonyms: studio strobe
Sync speed -  The fastest shutter speed at which a single flash of light can illuminate the entire focal plane of a camera. See also Intro to High Speed Sync.